History of Slavonic languages

ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu May 31 17:25:20 UTC 2001

Before 1970 or so, the Encyclopaedia Britannica had a good short
article on Slavic Languages by Horace Lunt, also good articles
on several of the individual languages.
In the 1970's they introduced the division into Micropaedia and
Macropaedia. Either immediately or soon thereafter, they commissioned
V.V.Ivanov to write an extensive article in the Languages of the World
section of the Macropaedia.
In 1995 they asked me to revise and update Ivanov's article. I
felt it was rather good already , and didn't see much that needed
changing, but I brought in some clarifications and
some updates, and the new version has been in the Encyclopaedia
since 1997 or 1998.

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Christopher J. Syrnyk wrote:

> Even though I am not a linguist, I have to agree with Wayles. Should
> I assume that Wayles is referring to the Eleventh Scholarly Edition
> of the E.B? Wayles, or do you simply refer us to the "latest" edtion?
> As for Vinokur's book, the introduction alone is worth one's trouble.
>
> Best,
> Christopher Syrnyk
>
> >I don't know of a completely enjoyable introduction to the history of
> >the whole Sl. language group, although the article in the Encyclopaedia
> >Britannica is far from bad. For Russian specifically, there is an engagingly
> >written little book:
> >The Russian language; a brief history [by]
> >G. O. Vinokur. Translated by Mary A. Forsyth, edited by James Forsyth.
> >                  Cambridge [Eng.] University Press, 1971.
> >                  x, 146 p. maps. 22 cm.
> >Best wishes,
> >
> >Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)