usage of comma a la Grot.

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Mon Nov 5 10:58:55 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues,
  Usage of commas is perhaps the most difficult part of Russian
punctuation rules, especially when one is dealing with the
pre-1918 printing rules. I have looked in Grot and other authorities,
but still cannot understand which of the two was correct at that time:
  1)  ..., dlja togo chtoby ...
      ..., v vidu togo chto ... (Ushakov acknowledged "vvidu" in 1934)
      ..., blagodarja tomu chto ...
or
  2)  ... dlja togo, chtoby ...
      ... v vidu togo, chto ...
      ... blagodarja tomu, chto ...

I am currently editing pre-1918 manuscripts and find myself in great
trouble because of the parallel presence of rules 1 and 2 in a single
text. (I assume Grot recommended the rule 2... The punctuation rules
published by the Ministry of Education in 1956 observe the rule 1...)

I shall be immensely obliged to you for any assistance.

with best wishes,

Tsuji