We do not want real information

lesley lesley at TOTALTRANCE.COM
Mon Nov 5 12:09:23 UTC 2001

CENSHORSHIP ON THIS LIST

The readers of this list might perhaps be interested that after providing
you with information about certain problems with freedom of speech in the
Czech Republic two days ago, the administrators of the list have barred my
access to the list, although I had already signed off... :)

I would like to remind them that freedom of speech is indivisible and that
by such action they are making themselves look ludicrous.

What is more important, they devalue all other information published on this
list because its users will from now always wonder what else has been
suppressed.

This is a one-off contribution, since this is obviously NOT the forum for
free dissemination of information about East European issues.

Before I do so, I include another item from the Czech Republic, which
hopefully might satisfy Alex Rudd, the censor on this list. Although I do
not know - the item deals with publishing but I am not sure whether it deals
with literature.

Those who wish to contact me can write to jcu2 at cableol.co.uk

Jan Culik
University of Glasgow

Czech News Agency, 5th November, 2001

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/view-id.php4?id=20011105E01723

District Court for Prague 7 found Michal Zitko, the publisher of a Czech
edition of Adolf HitlerĀ“s Mein Kampf guilty of "supporting movements aiming
to limit citizensĀ“ rights and freedoms". Zitko has been given a suspended
sentence of three years imprisonment and has been fined 2 million crowns.
Zitko has appeal against the decision to a higher court.

If the verdict is confirmed and Zitko does not pay the fine, he will have to
go to prison for one year. Zitko also is now required to report to a
probation officer twice a year to prove that he is leading an orderly life.

Zitko published a Czech translation of Mein Kampf in 2000, arguing that he
wished to make available the most fundamental ideological texts of 20th
century totalitarian regimes so that people could be acquainted with their
thinking. He also planned to publish the works of Karl Marx.