Volga

Alexander Sitzmann a9606646 at UNET.UNIVIE.AC.AT
Thu Feb 28 12:09:18 UTC 2002

Compare e.g. bulg. vlaga with Volga - it seams clear to me that we have two
different degrees of Ablaut, i.e. (§ is back jer)

bulg. vlaga < protoslav. valga (first a short, i.e. "Vollstufe", second a
long)
russ. volga < v§lga < vulga < ulga < protoslav. vlga (i.e. "Schwundstufe")
This "Schwundstufe" (sorry for the German termins) causes the vocalization
of v > u, thereafter you have the v-prothesis (like e.g. in _udra > vydra)
before u and then u > § > o.

That means, Volga ist "the wet one".

The baltic etymology proposed by Jues Levin is not plausible, because the
change in > v is another one than il > v, and there's no prothesis of v
before i.

Best wishes,
Alexander Sitzmann

Mag.phil. Alexander Sitzmann