student

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Mar 21 16:38:56 UTC 2002

Look. When Russian students come here to study, they do not necessarily
study English. I know some of those students who came here before via
different exchange programs, they lived here staying with American
host families while attending local high schools, and actually graduated
from American high schools. Now, they attend our universities, and hardly
can be distiguished from American students. They could have any major,
e.g., Math or Physics. They just study, and their "culture practice" is
just normal development not different from their American friends.
The point is that "stazhirovka" can be used ONLY in some specific cases
but cannot be used as a UNIVERSAL equivalent for "study" while
"uchjoba/uchit'sja" is such an equivalent.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>