student

Adassovsky Georges gadassov at IFRANCE.COM
Thu Mar 21 21:36:55 UTC 2002

>Look. When Russian students come here to study, they do not necessarily
>study English. I know some of those students who came here before via
>different exchange programs, they lived here staying with American
>host families while attending local high schools, and actually graduated
>from American high schools. Now, they attend our universities, and hardly
>can be distiguished from American students. They could have any major,
>e.g., Math or Physics. They just study, and their "culture practice" is
>just normal development not different from their American friends.
>The point is that "stazhirovka" can be used ONLY in some specific cases
>but cannot be used as a UNIVERSAL equivalent for "study" while
>"uchjoba/uchit'sja" is such an equivalent.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>

Abroad or not abroad is not the semantic question.
Either someone is studying in order to pass an exam and obtain a diploma (that is in order to master academic demand),
Or he is doing a training period to improve some skill (stazhirovka). That may be for academic purpose, OR NOT.
I think Alina was perfectly right in her demonstration.

Georges