Russian origins of parlor game?

Jennifer R. Tishler Jennifer.R.Tishler at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Tue Feb 11 13:03:36 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGERS:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my student's question about money in the
time of Anna Karenina. The references and links were extremely helpful. Today's
forwarded query comes from a reporter at "US News and World Report" ( not a
member of this list) who is doing research for an article.

Jennifer Tishler

---------------------------------
Dear Professor Tishler:

I'm writing a short article for US News and World Report on a popular
role-playing parlor game variously called Mafia, Diplomacy, Murder, Killer.
Famous authors are playing it in NY, and high school students, mathematics,
physics and psychology graduate students and MENSA types play it worldwide.
I'm trying to find the origin of the game. Boston society types played it in
the 60's and 70's; reporters played it during WW2; I'm finding some
references to society types playing it in the 1930's, as well. Many say the
game has Russian origins, and that it remains popular in Russia today; others
say it was inspired by a US 1924 short story starring a Russian general, "The
Most Dangerous Game". If you have a moment: do you know anything about the
origins/early years of this game? The editor on the article is Marc Silver.

Thanks so much.
Sincerely,
Cynthia Fox
718-624-1269