Bab-El

Janneke van de Stadt Janneke.vandeStadt at WILLIAMS.EDU
Tue Jun 3 13:22:43 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues,

When he first began to publish, Isaak Babel' would often sign his work
"Bab-El" and I remember reading,though I don't remember where, that this is
Hebrew for "The Gates of God."  Since then, I have also been told that the
Hebrew translation for "The Gates of God" is something else entirely!  Can
any one shed light on who first made this claim? And what does "Bab-El"
actually mean?

Thank you in advance!

Janneke van de Stadt