Khrushchev's words and his shoe banging

VANCHU, ANTHONY J. (JSC-AH) (TTI) anthony.j.vanchu1 at JSC.NASA.GOV
Fri May 2 13:51:38 UTC 2003

Actually, the "We will bury you" quote is from another incident which
occured in Moscow, November 18, 1956.  At that time, Khrushchev was speaking
with Western diplomats.

Clearly, the translation of this phrase in the West was purely literal and
not given its proper cultural context (oversight or a symptom of the Cold
War?).  While not particularly a wish of good tidings, the idea behind "we
will bury you," i.e., "we will outlive you," is a not quite as hostile as
the literal translation .  See below:

Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
Director, JSC Language Education Center