verification -- Khrushchev's appearances on TV

William Derbyshire Wwdslovene at AOL.COM
Mon May 12 01:32:46 UTC 2003

In a message dated 05/07/2003 3:57:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
elenka at UVIC.CA writes:

> Response to a message from Bill Derbyshire:
> You have misunderstood my comment about verification.

       No, I misunderstood nothing. What I find most amusing is the fact
that you think that I was reacting to your letter. In fact, I never even read
your posting! I jumped into this otherwise silly debate only when I noticed
that there was a response from my old friend Prof. Kalbouss.

> My comment that made you lose you temper was.......
       My goodness! I was not aware that "I had lost my temper"!! The
phrase "gimme a break" does not constitute a loss of temper.

       What does bother me is your suggestion that this famous incident
was "edited". Well, duh! Of course. Are not most TV and those old news
film clips of the past edited? Books are edited, articles are edited, and so
are any news broadcasts on the radio and on the TV. Perhaps you meant
to say that the incident as shown was altered in some way through trick
photography. Well, if that is so, then I can only suggest that you make
an effort to track down some of that footage, or ideally find  a witness who
was actually present when the shoe banging took place, since you seem
to think that people like Prof. Kalbouss and I are the victims of memories
on whom propaganda played some kind a trick.
       My major concern here is that people not engage in historical
revisionism
of facts for whatever purpose. Why would anyone want to defend Khrushchev's
boorish behavior in any case? And let us keep in mind that there are people
out
there who also deny the holocaust or the severity of the holocaust. This kind
of
debate, admittedly on a very minor scale, is a painful reminder of just that.
                                     Wm. Derbyshire