creating pdf files with Russian language texts

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Sep 16 21:44:30 UTC 2003

I've also gotten BCL online to work with Cyrillic, converting from Word
format to PDF.  It's a pretty nifty service!  However, I don't think that
this would be very practical for someone wanting to go from the scanner to
PDF.  (Am I wrong here?)

Also, a warning for those looking for budget solutions: don't buy "easyPDF"
from GoBCL (or any other "easy" PDF creator product), unless they can
guarantee you that it does now do Cyrillic.  EasyPDF only costs $50, but I
bought it, could not get it to work with Cyrillic, AND they would not refund
my money, even though they advertised (at that time) its ability to do
foreign langs.  (The program simply did not handle my embedded fonts
correctly.)  They now post a demo download and a very stern warning about no
refunds.  Maybe they've fixed the problem I encountered, maybe not, but the
moral is: try before you buy!

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian
Brandeis University
781.736.3347
powelstock at brandeis.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael A. Denner [mailto:mdenner at STETSON.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: creating pdf files with Russian language texts

If you're just looking for conversion of text to Acrobat (.pdf) format,
here's an expedient and, best of all, free way that has worked very well for
me:

I use GoBCL (www.gobcl.com). The service will convert any document from
either .doc or .html format into PDF for free, up to a certain size (up to
500KB, which is a very large document, indeed). You need to sign up for the
service - I've never been harassed by them with unwanted emails. Otherwise
it's free. You just send the web page or Word document to them, and about 5
minutes later they send you a zipped .pdf document. I sent a few articles
from gazeta.ru (the "for print" versions) and they seem to have worked
perfectly. I've sent literally hundreds of articles, papers, etc., all of
them in Russian, and I've never had encoding problems of any sort. I have no
idea why it is free, but ???????? ???? ? ???? ?? ???????.

I use their service most frequently to convert Word documents that I've
inserted "nonstandard" diacritical marks (i.e., accent marks of Russian
vowels) into .pdf format. It's the only way I'm aware of to author a
document on the web that has, say, a list of Russian words with accents
marked.

Best,
mad

<><><><><><><><><><><><>