oral proficiency testing

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Tue Jul 13 23:45:40 UTC 2004

Dear SEELANGers:

ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interviews yield a result according to the following
scale:

Novice Low
Novice Mid
Novice High
Intermediate Low
Intermediate Mid
Intermediate High
Advanced Low (as of 1999)
Advanced Mid (as of 1999)
Advanced High
Superior

Before 1999, there was only an "advanced" level, with no distinction between
AL and AM.

This scale is correlated with the scale used by the US Government
Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR)

Novice Low - Novice Mid:  0
Novice High:  0+
Intermediate Low - Intermediate Mid:  1
Intermediate High:  1+
Advanced Low - Advanced Mid:  2
Advanced High:  2+
Superior:  3
Distinguished:  4
Educated Native Speaker Equivalent:  5

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin
ACTFL OPI Trainer in Russian

On 7/13/04 1:05 PM, "Kenneth Brostrom" <ad5537 at WAYNE.EDU> wrote:

> --
> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> An adjunct faculty member at Wayne State sent me the following
> question, and I'm hoping someone can provide me with the answer he is
> seeking.  Thanks in advance, and please reply off list.
>
> Ken Brostrom
>
> I'm a Ph.D. in Russian history who's been adjuncting here at
> Wayne.  I'm currently revising my resume and wanted to query
> you about Russian language testing.
>
> Here's my question:  Back in 1997 I had my conversational
> Russian tested through ACTR.  I got a score of "2" on the
> test and my recollection is that the name of the test was
> the OPI and that a "2" is equivalent to the
> catagorization "advanced-mid".  I just wanted to run this by
> you to see if my various perceptions of the test result
> square w/ one another - i.e. that OPI scores using numbers
> (with pluses and minuses) and that a score of 2 equals
> advanced-mid.
>

> Kenneth Brostrom, Assoc. Prof. of Russian
> Dept. of German and Slavic Studies
> 443 Manoogian Hall
> Wayne State University
> Detroit, MI 48202
> email: kenneth.brostrom at wayne.edu
> telephone: 313-577-6238

*************
Benjamin Rifkin
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Professor and Chair, Slavic Dept.
1432 Van Hise, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706 USA
(608) 262-1623; Fax (608) 265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic

Director, Title VI Center for Russia, E. Europe & Central Asia (CREECA)
210 Ingraham Hall, 1550 Observatory Dr.
Madison, WI 53706 USA
(608) 262-3379; Fax (608) 265-3602
http://www.wisc.edu/creeca