Platonov translation problem

Don Livingston Peripatetic deljr at COMPUSERVE.COM
Mon Nov 15 03:42:54 UTC 2004

> I'll die over to you.

Allow me to second Wayles's suggestion of "die over to you."  It
captures the motion idea with its resemblance to the common
phrase "I'll come over."  I would avoid "die to" because it
brings up to my ear some religious associations we probably don't
want in that context (e.g., dying to the flesh, purposeful
mortification of the self for spiritual goals), as well as
avoiding the "you are dead to me" idea that implies rejection of
the person.  "I will die to you" sounds ambiguous, whereas "I'll
die over to you" sounds childishly clearer.

All the best, Don Livingston.