Etymology of zabyt'

Frank J Miller fjm6 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Jun 11 15:46:29 UTC 2005

I would think that that the "za" in _zapomnit_
indicates "fixating, or "making permanent" as in
_zapisat'_, _zafiksirovat'_ , whereas the "za" in
_zapamjatovat'_ (to forget) indicates "something
beyond the reach of (retrievable) memory,
analagous to the corresponding Polish verb.

FMiller

>Ruby J. Jones wrote:
>
>>If you look at the usage of the 'za-' meaning
>>"directionality of action, movement beyond some
>>kind of limits (or boundary), somewhere far
>>away" (Ìýԕý’ÎÂÌÌÓÒÚ¸ ”ÂÈÒڒËþ, ”’ËÊÂÌËþ Áý
>>ÍýÍËÂ-Î. ԕ”ÂΚ, Í۔ý-Î. ”ýÎÂÍÓ--  ÅÓθ¯ÓÈ
>>ÚÓÎÍӒšÈ ÒÎӒý•¸ •ÛÒÒÍÓ“Ó þÁšÍý), you can make
>>a case for the knowledge still being in your
>>brain, but somewhere far away from you
>>conscious control, and therefore not
>>retrievable.
>>

>       Cf. the Polish verb for "forget" -
>zapomniec' - (not to be confused with Russian
>_zapomnit'_), which also seems to suggest
>something beyond the reach of (retrievable)
>memory.
>
>Bob Rothstein

Frank J. Miller
Professor and Acting Chair