Teffi.

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Mon Oct 17 03:11:44 UTC 2005

>In a course on the C20 short story I am including the following:
>'Korsikanets', 'Kogda rak svistnul', 'Svetlyi prazdnik', 'Lyubov'', 'Tonkie
>pis'ma' and 'Semeinaya poezdka'.  Can you give us the titles of a few other
>stories you especially like?

Don't have the originals at hand where I am right
now. Personally I like her poetry, the
overwrought and tongue-in-cheek as well as the
lyrical pieces, and I use it in our poetry course
(two titles off-hand are "Na ostrove moix
vospominanii" and "Ja - beyi siren'," plus
several gemstone titles).
But then, I like her sister's poetry too -
Lokhvitskaia-, and the poetry is not so relevant
to the original request about comedy.

As for the stories, I am most partial to her
stories about the Russian émigré community in
France,  and I always get a big kick out of the
short play "The Woman Question." I've read it
only in English (in Catriona Kelly's Anthology).
That particular piece has multiple layers of
irony, but it also works as completely straight
role-reversal shtick.
-FR

--

Francoise Rosset