Russian for "handout"

Gerald Janecek gjanecek at UKY.EDU
Mon Sep 19 19:16:43 UTC 2005

I've heard "khendaut" used recently at a RAN
conference by reputable native Russian scholars.

>SEELANGStsy!
>
>An utterly frivolous question for a Monday afternoon: what would be the the
>best Russian equivalent for the word ³handout² (=xeroxed materials given out
>in class)?  My informants (= 2 native speaker teaching assistants!) tell me
>that ³razdatochnye materialy² doesn¹t necessarily mean the material is
>xeroxed (eg, it could include books distributed in class).  I have the sense
>that I¹ve seen/heard the word ³khendaut², but am I right in suspecting that
>this is a creation of American teachers of Russian / teachers of Russian in
>America?
>
>Curiously,
>
>Nicole
>

>****************************
>Nicole Monnier
>Assistant Professor of Instruction
>Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
>German & Russian Studies
>415 GCB
>University of Missouri
>Columbia, MO 65211
>
>phone: 573.882.3370

Gerald J. Janecek, Professor		 Phone: 859-257-7025
Editor, Slavic & East European Journal     E-mail: gjanecek at uky.edu
Division of Russian & Eastern Studies
Dept. of Modern & Classical Languages,
Literatures and Cultures          	Fax: 859-257-3743
University of Kentucky                  	SEEJ phone: 859-257-9854
Lexington, KY 40506