This Onegin thing

Pendergast, J. MAJ DFL John.Pendergast at USMA.EDU
Wed Apr 5 21:06:32 UTC 2006

Onegin fans-

I would feel remiss not to take a step into this melee since I wrote my
MA thesis on the topic, albeit some years ago.

My focus was, however, primarily on the opera, and I would submit that
the Onegin of Pushkin's page may be somewhat different from the Onegin
on Tchaikovsky's stage.  I think many contributors have already provided
plenty of insight into the literary Evgeniy, but I want to make a couple
of observations about the person Tchaikovsky creates in his "lyrical
scenes" (the bulk of the evidence suggests that Tchaikovsky himself was
the author of the libretto).

There is an entire maelstrom of other controversies that one stirs up
when speaking about Tchaikovsky's works, especially in the context of
his sexuality, but I will say that I come from the perspective most
fully developed by Poznansky's publications on Tchaikovsky, which states
that he was a self-aware homosexual who entered into a disastrous
marriage naively hoping to gain the social status attendant to marriage
the same year that he wrote the eponymous opera  (parentheically, I
agree with Rebecca J. Stanton's idea that our present-day conception of
"gay" and the sort of lifestyle that Tchaikovsky led are not entirely
similar).

There is evidence, I believe, in both the libretto  and the score that,
in the context of experiencing the tremendous stresses of his failed
marriage, he created dramatic and thematic juxtapositions that strongly
support the thesis that Daniel Rancour-Laferriere puts forth as being
the cause for Onegin's rejection of Tatiana: namely, that Onegin is more
concerned with flirting with Lensky and making him jealous than in
anything to do with Ol'ga or Tatiana.  I can't guess Onegin's reasons
with any more certainty than anyone else, but I can provide dozens of
examples in the text of the libretto and the music of the score that
show the primary love triangle of Tchaikovsky's creation to have had as
its points NOT Lensky, Ol'ga and Onegin, but Lensky, Onegin, and
Tatiana.

Here are just a few:
1) The theme sung by Tatiana on the words "Kto ty: moy angel li
khranitel'?" in the Act One letter-writing scene is extremely closely
related to the theme sung by Lensky in Act Two on the words "Chto den'
gryadushchiy mne gotovit?"  The secind is essentially a minor key
variation on the first.  There is even a short entr'acte musical
introduction to Act Two in which Tatiana's "Kto ty" theme morphs briefly
into Lensky's "Chto den' gryadushchiy" theme.  I think this clearly
shows Tchaikovsky's feeling that the real choice facing Onegin is
between Tatiana and Lenksy.

2) The duel.  The sequence of texts selected from Pushkin's original and
arranged for the duel, taken together in the order they appear, give the
impression that Lensky may have Onegin in mind when he sings "zhelannyj
drug, pridi, ya tvoy suprug," especially because Onegin is the person
who appears immediately after these words have been sung.  In the verse
novel, Lensky writes these words in a letter that is sent privately to
Ol'ga, but the dramatic sequence in the opera produces a somewhat
different effect.   The "Vragi" duet, sung by Onegin and Lensky just
before the duel, is set up as a canon, causing each one to repeat their
lines almost tripping over each other, more like a love duet, and in
fact, the theme of Lensky's Act One aria  "Ya lyublyu vas"
(significantly, WITHOUT the notes on which the appositive name Ol'ga is
previously sung) is heard in the orchestra immediately after Onegin and
Lensky's duet.  In the cinematic Tikhomirov production of the opera,
certainly neither Tatiana nor Ol'ga seems to be on either man's mind
during the "Vragi" duet.

I feel that my comments are running a bit long, but I just wanted to
point out that, beyond the interpretation one may glean directly from
Pushkin's words, at least one great interpreter of the work,
Tchaikovsky, seems to have sensed a familiar conflict between Onegin and
Lensky based on homosexual tensions.  Is that because he himself had an
axe to grind?  Perhaps, but the result is a work that resonates, is
immensely popular, and probably actually more familiar to most people
who THINK they know the REAL Onegin.

John Pendergast
Major, US Army
Assistant Professor of Russian