a bookish term for "well-endowed"

Tue Apr 11 17:09:08 UTC 2006

Maryna Vinarska wrote:

> I agree. It simply slipped my memory. I read your posting after I
> sent mine. But mine "also colloquial" meant that "grudastaja" is as
> qolloquial as the English word is. I have "Oxford Advanced Learner's
> D." on my desk. It says that the English word is "informal,
> humourous". So I wrote what I wrote.
>
> And as to "pyshnogrudaja",  yes, it is not "informal or humorous",
> but exactly from the HIGH-brow literature.
>
> And I have no idea if the English word is really informal and
> humorous in American English. It's the first time I have seen this
> word at all, I think.

I've mostly heard "well-endowed" as a euphemistic or polite way around
saying a woman has large breasts or a man has a large penis. It can
often be said with a smile or a chuckle, and it can be said in the
politest of company -- though of course the subject itself would
probably be off-limits there. You won't hear it in a locker room, where
much cruder phrasings prevail.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com