first Russian-language publication of Grossman's 'Life and Fate'

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Aug 8 09:24:53 UTC 2006

Dear Vladimir Shatsev,

> Recently I have reread Life and Fate but in English in your admirable
> translation. I really enjoyed it and did not even notice the difference
> between original text and your translation.
Many thanks!

> Life and Fate published in Oktyabr‚ really shook me.I  believe I was more
> shaken than by Soljenitsin and Conquest.
Interesting.  I have no doubt that G. is a finer writer than S.

> In the beginning of the 90-   ies  I made an acquaintance with Hugh Lunghi
> with whom I had a lot of  conversations in his house in Fleet, Hampsire
> about Literature and Politics in Life and Fate( By the way, the last  time I
> spoke with him was by telephone in the Summer of 2003.Thus,I have no idea
> how he is doing now.)
It is much longer than that, perhaps 7-8 years, since I last saw him myself.
He is a very nice man.

> In September-October ,in Toronto‚s Chapters bookstore ,I will be advertising
> in the way of lectures, masterpieces of Russian prose in order to promote
> sales of same.
I’m glad to hear of your readings.  Next Feb. I shall be in Toronto myself
for a few days — so perhaps we can meet!

Best wishes,

Robert