The ever-challenging 3rd-year Russian language course

Nicole Monnier monniern at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Aug 8 20:17:26 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGStsy!

HELP. 11th-hour changes find me scrambling to put together a first-semester
3rd-year (to use the terminology of our program) Russian language course.
While I have taught this semester of Russian before, it is my Waterloo (I'm
Napoleon, not the Duke of Wellington in this scenario). As it is envisioned
in these parts, the course is meant to be a reading / preparation for
reading course, with some emphasis on grammar.

The students will have had two solid years of Russian (1st-year = Live from
Moscow in two 15-week semesters with 6 course meetings per week; 2nd-year =
Live from Moscow: Welcome Back! in two 15-week semesters with 4 meetings per
week).

I've taught three different versions of this course, each with a different
set of texts and supplementary materials, but with far less success than I
would hope. Ideally, I envision putting together a set of "teachable texts"
(a mix of literary and otherwise) together with a good reference
textbook/grammar (Wade? Offord?).

I know some of this is last-minute panic, but I'd LOVE to hear from those of
you who have taught this course and been pleasantly surprised by your
successes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nicole

Dr. Nicole Monnier
Assistant Professor of Instruction
Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
German & Russian Studies
415 GCB
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211