Petrograd

Peitlova Katarina peitlovakatarina at TISCALI.IT
Wed Jul 12 08:06:09 UTC 2006

There's a difference between usage of PETERSBURG-PETROGRAD  and KITAJ -
PODNEBESNAJA.

1 case  we have to do with a Russian version of  a new established city,
while expanding it changes. If Pjotr Velikij was looking towards West  his
followers 100 years later were looking towards their own  Russian origins
and made efforts to change smth. Just imagine that  more than 100 years
before the name of PETROGRAD
was established by government (1914) it was already used. Do you really
think,that usage for over 100 years could be ONLY by writers and poets and
the people  didn't know it?

2 case - I personally don't know how long this word Podnebesnaja  does
exist,but if it is used  we can only accept it. All neologism  were
introduced in a language by simple usage not by government decisions. And it
is not important who  used it for first - if it were poets,writers or
journalists.

Katarina Peitlova PhDr
Italy