ISO Russian movie & music recommendations: Seryoga

Evelina Mendelevich emendelevich at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 14 18:58:24 UTC 2006

Here's a brief info on Seryoga from answers.com:

" Byelorussian artist Serega (Сере́га)... combined original rap with the native Russian satiric song genre chastooshka which some critics consider a new branch in the rap genre: rap-chastooshka. Although most of rap fans believe he does not belong to the Russian rap scene, the musician won the nominee for best Russian rap in 2005 on the RMA (Russian Music Awards). Serega can be compared with Vanila Ice in USA, and his name is theme for jokes among rap fans and rappers from CIS."

You can listen to his songs and watch the videos, as well as get more info at http://www.seryoga.ru/ .

All the best,
Evelina Mendelevich

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Devin Browne
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 12:51 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] ISO Russian movie & music recommendations

Hi all -- Having been out of the Russian loop for about a decade, I'm
looking for recommendations of movies and music I can share with my high
school students.  Current (or fairly current) movies go over better w/ my
students.

Regarding music, I'd love to hear what your take is on current Russian
hip-hop.  I've searched a little on the 'net and, well, I've been a little
disappointed.  Detsl seems like he made a splash a few years ago and is
fairly well produced -- is he still in the mix these days?  Are there any
other hip hop artists in Russia that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Devin