ISO Russian movie & music recommendations

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Sat Jul 15 01:32:21 UTC 2006

With regards to movies, a popular "Blokbastr" that came out not too
long ago and is based on a book by a popular spy novel writer is
Turetsky Gambit.  Don't know if this is available in the U.S. or not.
Also fairly recently is Nochnoi Dozor -- a freaky-weird sci-fi action
flick that was in select U.S. movie houses under the name Nightwatch.
There was also a fairly popular flick with a mafia? plot called "Bumer"
which I haven't seen, but it seemed to have a following of sorts.

It may also be of interest to know something about "Goblin
Translations" of big-time Hollywood films.  The guy who used to do the
voice-over dubbing of Hollywood flicks back in the '80's when they were
all low quality and black market has begun to put out alternative
translations of big name films.  Basically he takes movies like Matrix
and The Lord of the Rings and dubs over alternative plots and dialog.
In some cases he even plays with the background music and graphics.  So
for example the background music for Sauron's tower of Baradur is Alan
Parson's Project "Eye in the Sky" and in the Matrix the main characters
are all escapees from a lunatic asylum.  The language is, naturally,
not the cleanest and is chock full of slang, which is likely to go over
most student's heads.  But knowing about these translations can
potentially increase your coolness in the eyes of high schoolers.

What would be a lot of fun, I imagine, would be to get some recordings
of certain T.V. shows -- if you have a friend who could manage it.
There's one particular program -- and the exact name is escaping me at
the moment -- that I think is called Zapretnaya Zona.  The premise is
that someone writes into the show with a particular mystery -- where
does their wife go every day between 9 and 10 or why are the lightbulbs
in their podezd being stolen?  And the show's producers put in some
hidden cameras to solve the mystery.  One gets the feeling that a lot
of these stories are staged because the solution to the problem tends
to get quite wacky and convoluted, but the twists and turns would
definitely catch the interest of viewers and there are many different
levels to the stories that could serve for conversational practice in
Russian.

Anyway, just a few ideas.

Regards,

Emily Saunders