"bystander problem" in Russia

Jose Alaniz jos23 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Jul 26 21:13:49 UTC 2006

I have a sad story and a happy story. A gang of thieves posing as beggars
once attacked me near Kievsky vokzal, in broad daylight, and no one tried to
help. Fortunately I got away. More recently, a pair of young guys were
following me on Leninsky Prospekt at about 4 in the morning (don't ask what
I was doing there alone at that time or what state I was in). When it became
quite clear that they were closing in on me, I made a run for it. Suddenly a
taxi screeches to a halt on the road just ahead of me, the door pops open. I
slipped in and we high-tailed it out of there. "I had been watching those
men," the driver said. "They definitely wanted to rob you." I thanked the
man profusely and insisted on paying him, though he said I didn't need to.
It was one of those wonderful Moscow moments that made me love the city and
its people more than ever.