No subject

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Jun 3 14:49:12 UTC 2006

>But, have any of you good folks out there ever heard of a surname
>"IL'D"?

No, but Google found an actor Sergej Il'd:

ë•“ÂÈ àθ”
ë•“ÂÈ àθ” ÄÍÚ•. ÙËθϚ ᔕý’ÒڒÛÈ, åÓÒ͒ý! (1945)
kino.br.by/man37772.html

> On the other hand, might
>I ask, how common as a SURNAME is "IL'IA," in one or another
>part of the former USSR?

Not very common but still there. Nothing beats Alexander and Vladimir.

>When I think of famous creative people like " EL' " Lisitskii  and
>" VIL " Lipatov, whose intialisms may be derived from less exotic
>names like Lazar' and Vladimir Il'ich Lenin,

Those must be treated differently: El' is pseudonym, basically a
transctiption of the first letter of the name: L = El', while Vil' seems to
be a given name, like Magnit or Industrij.

Whether the name goes back to a Lenin's achromym may be a question, some
names were simply "reetymologized". It is said that Ninel' is Lenin
backwards, yet it is a legitimate French name Ninelle, so is Vladelain
which in Russian version BladiLen is viewed as Vladimir Lenin.

As for Il'd, it may as well be a shortened Turkic name Il'dar. Everybody
knows El'dar (Ryazanov). Well, Il'dar is his namesake, from a different
tribe or a dialect. It is Uzbek I think.

There is a TV duo of Berman and Zhindarev, well Zhindarev is Ildar.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016