How to translate "ochered'" (not the kind for toilet paper)?

Genevra Gerhart ggerhart at COMCAST.NET
Sat Jun 17 19:59:03 UTC 2006

I suspect, too, that it's been quite while since there was an "ochered' for
toilet paper.
Even torn newspaper to the same end, so to speak, has lost its application.

(I prefer machine gun.)

Genevra Gerhart

ggerhart at comcast.net

www.genevragerhart.com
www.russiancommonknowledge.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul B. Gallagher
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 11:16 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] How to translate "ochered'" (not the kind for toilet
paper)?

Peter Scotto wrote:

> Yes, "ochered'" is usually translated as "burst" in this context. I
> like the suggestion here very much.

Agreed. And "raked" or "sprayed" could both work.

But "submachine gun" sounds a bit passe to my ear; I'm more accustomed
to seeing/hearing "automatic weapon" or "machine gun" in the news and
entertainment media. Readers with U.S. military experience are invited
to chime in at this point.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com