How to translate "ochered'" (not the kind for toilet paper)?

Mon Jun 19 23:53:52 UTC 2006

Loren A. Billings wrote:

> "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote:
>

>>> By the way, _automatic_ has a specific meaning too. It's when the
>>> weapon continuously fires without having to keep pulling the
>>> trigger; ...
>>
>> I understood it somewhat differently -- that the weapon fires
>> continuously _as long as_ you hold down the trigger; in other
>> words, that you don't have to release the trigger to fire the next
>> round.
>
> We are saying the same thing. I should clarify my own wording: the
> weapon continuously fires without having to repeatedly release and
> pull the trigger. By "keep pulling" I was referring to iterative
> pulls rather than sustained pressure on the trigger.

Good, we do agree.

>> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
>
> Might makes right, as it were? --Loren Billings

To the contrary, as I think you know -- the party that enforces its will
by brute force is usually the one with wrong on its side, and its power
is short-lived as the world collaborates to knock the tyrant off its
perch. The aphorism is about the pointlessness and counterproductiveness
of war. And I wish it didn't have such obvious application to our
current situation -- I don't like being carried along on a target rack
as our irresponsible leaders pursue their vainglorious dream of conquest
and exploitation.

But that's all off-topic here, so if you want to pursue it, contact me
privately.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com