Russian study in Vladivostok

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Wed Oct 18 19:34:21 UTC 2006

Hello,

Based on the description at the AMBergh Education website, my guess is
that they have an agreement with the Russian School at DVGU (FENU) -
the primary liberal arts university in Vladi-k.  Here is their direct
website:  http://russianschool.wl.dvgu.ru/index.php  Whether you go
through a U.S. based organization or contact them directly, I'm
guessing the end experience is the same.  The main thing is if the
student needs academic credit and which institution he/she'd be getting
it through.

I participated in an exchange program there through the now more or
less defunct ACC program out of Middlebury back in the early '90's.  I
imagine that a lot has changed since then, however there were two
aspects of the Russian School program that I noted then and which may
be the same now.

1.  Accommodations were (are?) on the 3rd floor of DVGU dormitory #4,
which is the best student dorm in town.  However, if things are as they
were, you'll not likely be mingling with Russian students on this floor
as it was/is? separated from the rest of the dorm by a steel door and
guarded by a stern dezhurnaya.  Most of the students in the program
then were Japanese and Korean, so likely those are the students you'd
be socializing with after class.  (Through ACC our group of students
managed to get placed with regular Russian students on other floors).

2.  The program of study was/is? worked out for lower levels quite
well, but was not sufficient for me at that time (I'd just come off of
5 years of college Russian).  I  ended up skipping the Russian School
classes and instead attended seminars and lectures at the Fil and
Istfak's of the regular university.  ACC offered this option then.  I
do not know if other programs affiliated with the Russian School will
now.

That being said, the school is quite conveniently located (assuming it
is still downstairs and next door to Ob No 4), and this is saying
something in Vladi-k where things are quite strung out and if you get
stuck out at 2-aya Rechka, it can be quite a trek to get downtown.
Also if your student is interested in studying east of the Urals, I
would say that Vladivostok is a better location than, say,
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.  Though Irkutsk is also a nice town.

If your student has any questions about Vladi-k, I'd be happy to answer
them.  I was a student there back in the early 90's but have visited
friends there as recent as 2005.

Regards,

Emily Saunders