Translation query

William Derbyshire Wwdslovene at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 22 00:37:45 UTC 2007

I take exception to the idea that the-AY-ter can be heard from the lips of
country folk.
Perhaps so, but one of my best friends teaches at one of our leading
universities, and
his PhD is in French literature. The preceding is his standard  pronunciation.
Although he is originally from Oklahoma, he is hardly "country folk"  Perhaps
we should
use the term "regional pronunciation".   Bill  Derbyshire