Translation query

Genevra Gerhart ggerhart at COMCAST.NET
Sun Apr 22 01:15:27 UTC 2007

I say it is not only country folk, (where did the term "okies" come from?),
but also lower class, and not standard American pronunciation.

Genevra Gerhart

ggerhart at comcast.net

www.genevragerhart.com
www.russiancommonknowledge.com

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of William Derbyshire
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:38 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation query

I take exception to the idea that the-AY-ter can be heard from the lips of
country folk.
Perhaps so, but one of my best friends teaches at one of our leading
universities, and
his PhD is in French literature. The preceding is his standard
pronunciation.
Although he is originally from Oklahoma, he is hardly "country folk"
Perhaps
we should
use the term "regional pronunciation".   Bill  Derbyshire

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:56 PM