Translation query

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Sun Apr 22 03:34:20 UTC 2007

By "country folk" I mean no disrespect. My father, who was an educated man
and taught school in several cities, came from that stock and kept certain
"country" speechways all his life. For that matter, any linguist knows that
"country" is an imprecise term. "Country" speech communities are not all
alike, from one region to another. And so yes, "regional pronunciation" can
be a useful term. Brought up in the city ourselves, us kids (or "we kids" if
you prefer) would kid my dad about it a bit.

In a similar vein, "lower class" and "not standard" are culturally powerful
but scientifically shifty terms, since forms and pronunciations can come
into or go out of favor through space and time. Refer to any work by David
Crystal.

Whether the-AY-ter is a good match for kiyater I'm unable to say, especially
if kiyater automatically carries a tinge of criminal jargon. But if it is
merely prostonarodnoe maybe it'll work.

Finally, for anyone who doesn't know anything about Johnny Mercer
(originally a southern country boy himself) and his string of popular and
increasingly sophisticated songs, check out the relevant Wikipedia article.
The first line of his "Strip Polka" goes: "There's a burlesque the-AY-ter
where the boys like to go...."

Kim etc.....