Translation query

trubikhina at AOL.COM trubikhina at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 22 14:33:28 UTC 2007

  Thank you all! The publisher is British so I will go with "featre" or “theetter.”

 Julia
    -------------------
 Julia Trubikhina

 Assistant Professor of Russian
 Russian Program Coordinator
 Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
 Montclair State University
 Dickson Hall, Room 138
 Montclair, NJ 07043

 -----Original Message-----
 From: paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM
 To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
 Sent: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 9:49 AM
 Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation query

  William Ryan wrote:

 > In London, England, uneducated English for 'theatre' would be 'featre', > in which the last syllable is usually a glottal stop. ...

 Could you clarify this, please?

 A glo'al stop alone is pure silence, so it cannot be a syllable. Do you mean that the syllable /ends/ with a glo'al stop? Or /begins/ with one?

 -- War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
 --
 Paul B. Gallagher
 pbg translations, inc.

 options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: