Help with Tsvetaeva poem -- NOte

Benjamin Sher sher07 at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Aug 3 02:59:52 UTC 2007

Dear friends:

My thanks to Ajda for locating two of the three Tsvetaeva poems. Really
grateful. There is just one poem left. Please see below.

> RESURRECTION
>

> I.
> My rose is sleeping fitfully. Like a thorn
> In the cosmos' side, I shall press on
> With the sting of my  puny lullabies.
> Not even when they lower you into the grave’s
> familiar emptiness, shall I make peace
> With the snowdrifts' blanket praise. My God,
> Their pallor waits upon your body's shocks.
> II.
> The delicate wings apprenticed to my back
> Shall never carry you to your lofty term:
> No! I shall not augment the flowering spaces
> That hug this earth like swaddling clothes.
>
> III.
> Pale Reaper, look on grimly and burn:
> Hands released from the furrows of prayer,
> I shall beat out my daughter's tensile form
> From the threadbare meshes of her shroud.
> For a thousand miles round the snow is falling
> Like lead. The woods are knitted with needles of fire.
> IV.
> Yet, if, marshalling wings, shoulders, knees,
> Death should carry me off like a meteor
> To the closing pit of your one-sided grave,
> It is to mock the contracting cosmos of dust
> Beneath our frail wings. I shall rise a poem
> Or else sprout in the waste like a pale rose.

Can you help me locate the original poems that these translations are
based on? All I really need are the exact Russian titles. I can probably
find the Russian texts online.

Thank you so much.

Please contact me personally at:

delphi123 at zebra.net