Help with Tsvetaeva poems

Boris Dagaev boris.dagaev at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 4 00:48:32 UTC 2007

Benjamin,

You are in good company :-) Craig Raine did an interesting adaptation
of "Попытка ревности". It's with a twist, but quite recognizable -

http://plagiarist.com/poetry/2628/

and this is Raine's statement of purpose, if you will -

"One of Hemingway's linguistic projects is to write in Spanish using
English.  I myself once began a translation of Marina Tsvetayeva's 'An
Attempt at Jealousy' in which I aimed to write a kind of
Russian-English, without articles and reproducing the Russian
word-order.  In the event, Tsvetayeva's subject matter, jealousy,
interested me more than the linguistic project and I ended up writing
a traditional ballad"
(see http://www.poetrymagazines.org.uk/magazine/record.asp?id=5254)

Boris