Zakaznaya statya

Paul Richardson paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET
Mon Jun 18 21:46:40 UTC 2007

Timothy's definition was excellent, but I would recommend that "paid
for by an interested party" be elaborated. Often the terms of payment
for a Z.S. are rather indirect and implicit. Articles are written
about new products that just happen to be produced by one of that
publication's advertisers, etc., and often it is a you scratch my
back kind of thing. Or maybe a publication and a manufacturer are
owned by the same company? Or maybe a publication and an industrial
sector are owned by the same oligarch?

The way our small circle in publishing commonly translates Z.S. is a
"bought and paid for" article. A bit redundant, but there is no
misunderstanding what we are talking about.

While Z.S. are indeed widespread in the Russian media (not very
different from the Soviet days, actually, when a story about a
"successful" kolkhoz was ordered from on high toward political ends),
they are also very common in Western trade media that rely heavily on
advertising revenues.

The thing Tony refers to below is actually something required by US
law, by the Postmaster who issues periodicals permits. Mailing with
reduced rate periodical permits requires the publisher to clearly
indicate advertising as such if it might be mistaken as editorial,
and to submit a marked up copy of each published magazine, indicating
what is advertising and what is editorial. This is because the
postage paid on each copy mailed is in large part determined by the
editorial versus advertising content (advertising being more expensive).

Paul Richardson
Publisher
Russian Life magazine