Fwd: Platonov, and his metaphors

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Mon May 21 16:10:46 UTC 2007

First off, thanks to Lily for this insightful comment on the ART of
translation. I do not wish to offend anyone on this list, but it really
seems to me that most of these suggestions I've read so far seem
out-of-the-blue and a little stale. The type of sentences I read time and
time again that always leave me wondering "I wonder the original said (and
meant)." Of course, I could look that up, but translations should not leave
one with that feeling.

Given Lily's contemplation of the subject - that the phrase should sound odd
but also imply a mystical connection with the railroad as well as the fact
that he excels in his job - I would leave many of the words behind and
translate the thought instead. Something like:

"You only work here, go through the motions, but I bleed rail ties."

It does differ from the original, but achieves the same effect of slightly
alienating the listener, and also makes instant sense as a metaphor by
borrowing from a common image about "having something in one's blood."

I've also assumed that "tut khodite" would imply regular motion in a single
place and convey a slight condescension...

Just a(nother) suggestion.

JW