Another translation question

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Fri Nov 30 09:43:58 UTC 2007

In my experience, your estimate on volume expectation is reasonable.
However, this is something that needs to be worked out with each individual
translator. Speed is something that will differ for each and will be based
on how "in-demand" the translator is, the translator's personal life, etc. I
try to take all these into account when formulating my expectations of what
to expect from any translator I work with.

Obviously, if we look at the Gallagher trinity (which is quite correct, in
my view), if we consider speed an issue we should expect either quality to
go down or price to go up.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul Richardson
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:45 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Another translation question

On the subject of translation...

Certainly there are lots of factors like difficulty of text, type of
text, quality of result, etc. But I wonder if those working with
translators (and translators themselves) have any general rules of
thumb for a daily translation volume sweet-spot? Koroche, what kind
of daily volume is reasonable to expect?

I know what my own daily volume is, but would be interested to see
what others use for their benchmarks, based on types of text, etc.
Assume a publishable quality in resulting text.

I ask because this would help in determining reasonable expectations
when we work with outside translators, which we are doing more now
that we are expanding into offering a fiction quarterly. (Thus, if
one can reasonably assume 2500 words output per day, an 8,000 word
piece in a week would not be a rush job. Of course other things being
equal.)

I would also be interested in the differential between fiction and
non-fiction.

On or offlist replies welcomed.

Thanks,

Paul Richardson