[Bulk] Re: [SEELANGS] discourse words

Alfia Rakova Alfia.Rakova at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Fri Nov 30 18:18:13 UTC 2007

Then you probably meant otvechal, NO ne otvetil (not A ne otvetil).
In this example it has to be Imperfective, meaning either Ja uzhe podrobno otvechal na etot vopros (focus is "Ja ne tol'ko uzhe otvetil, but my answer covered this topic in depth, in detail, in essence, etc.), or Ja uzhe mnogo raz otvechal na etot vopros (repeated action).
We need to teach our students to say correctly: Ja uzhe rasskazyval tebe ob etom; Tolstoy uzhe pisal ob etom; My uzhe obsuzhdali eto, etc.
After these statements there is always a choice: do I want to conitnue communication, to end it, or to move on?
If I want to continue it, then: Ja uzhe otvechal na etot vopros, no mogu povtorit'.
If to end it: Ja uzhe otvechal na etot vopros i bol'she ne budu otvechat'.
If to move on, then: Ja uzhe otvechal na etot vopros, davajte perejdiom k drugomu voprosu. In this case it means otvetil plus something else. Sometimes it can be a polite form of expressing irritation, impatience, being in a hurry, etc: Ja uzhe otvechal na etot vopros (don't you remember? didn't you pay attention? etc.).

Wonderful topic!
Thank you.
A.Rakova, Senior Lecturer
Department of Russian
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
Alfia.Rakova at Dartmouth.edu

--- You wrote:
My previous posting doesnt seem to have got through, sorry

By asking that question ( ÏÔ$F9Å$FBÁÌ, Á ÎÅ ÏÔ$F9ÅÔÉÌ?) I meant to suggest that Putin could have been asked that as a follow up,
meaning "but you haven't really answered the question".

His reaction might have been interesting.

And been offered as an example of making aspect fun.

--- Start of quoted text:
The use of the imperfective here appears to be a case of what has often been called "konstatacija fakta" and is perhaps best understood by assigning two meanings to uzhe:  1) so quickly; 2) at some previous time. I don't mean literal translations of uzhe and perhaps there are better ones, but just a way of trying to characterize the ways that uzhe and aspect can be related to be used in two different kinds of situations that convey two different meanings.  Consider the following examples:
1) Two students, working together on their Russian homework.  The first one says, "Let's start with ex. 10."  A ja ego uzhe sdelal, says the second.  That is, having done the exercise is part of relevant time that began at some point in the past and continues to the present, with results relevant to the present moment.  So, to try to make it visual,  if the present is marked by an X, then    |----------|X
2) A substitute teacher in a Russian class, says "Let's do exercise 10." A my ego uzhe delali, answer the students, meaning that this exercise was done at a previous time and therefore does not need to be done now.  The doing of the exercise was an event completed in a period of time not relevant to the present.  Again to try to make it visual,  |---------| X
    By choosing the imperfective, Putin is saying that answering that question is already over and done with.  Time to move on.
At least, that is my reading of it.
Pat Chaput
Harvard University

--- Start of quoted text (3):
÷ï$FFòïó: ÷ ÍÏÅÍ $F9Ï$F5ÒÏÓÅ ÒÅ$FBØ ÛÌÁ Ï ÍÎÏÇÏ$F5ÏÌÑÒÎÏÓÔÉ $F9 ÓÁÍÏÊ òÏÓÓÉÉ ËÁË ÔÁËÏ$F9ÏÊ É Ï ÔÏÍ, $FBÔÏ ËÁÓÁÅÔÓÑ ÏÔÎÏÛÅÎÉÑ ÍÅOÄÕÎÁÒÏÄÎÏÇÏ ÓÏÏÂ$FAÅÓÔ$F9Á $F9 ÏÔÎÏÛÅÎÉÉ òÏÓÓÉÉ, ÅÓÌÉ ÏÎÁ ÎÅ ÓÏÂÌÀÄÁÅÔ ÜÔÉ $F5ÒÉÎÃÉ$F5Ù: ÕÂÉÊÓÔ$F9Á OÕÒÎÁÌÉÓÔÏ$F9, ÓÔÒÁÈÉ, ÂÏÑÚÎØ, ÏÔÓÕÔÓÔ$F9ÉÅ Ó$F9ÏÂÏÄÙ, ÎÅ$F5ÒÁ$F9ÉÔÅÌØÓÔ$F9ÅÎÎÙÅ ÏÒÇÁÎÉÚÁÃÉÉ.

÷.$FFõôéî: ñ Ä$F9Á ÓÌÏ$F9Á ÓËÁOÕ. ôÁÍ ÂÙÌ ÄÒÕÇÏÊ ËÁËÏÊ-ÔÏ $F9Ï$F5ÒÏÓ, ÎÁ ÜÔÏÔ Ñ  $F9 $F5ÒÉÎÃÉ$F5Å ÕOÅ ÏÔ$F9Å$FBÁÌ, ËÏÇÄÁ ÇÏ$F9ÏÒÉÌ Ï ÓÏÓÔÁ$F9Å ÒÏÓÓÉÊÓËÏÇÏ $F5ÁÒÌÁÍÅÎÔÁ.

òÅ$FBØ $FFÕÔÉÎÁ $F9 íÀÎÈÅÎÅ (2007)

--- end of quoted text (3) ---

--- end of quote ---