shlyukha, kurva, shalava

Thu Oct 25 19:58:47 UTC 2007

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> Does kurva really not have sexual connotations (to me bitch does
> not)? I've heard it in Russian as "whore," though the speakers could
> have been influenced by Yiddish in which it is definitely "whore," as
> in zwei-groschen-.

sense is intended:

"to bitch" v.i. = "to complain" -- no sexual meaning, unrestricted as to
gender of speaker or target, mild taboo

"to bitch out" v.tr. = "to criticize" -- no sexual meaning, usage
slightly favors female speakers and male targets, moderate taboo

"bitch" n. = "difficult/unfortunate situation; pity/shame" -- no sexual
meaning, unrestricted as to gender of speaker (target inanimate),
moderate taboo

"bitch" n. = "uncooperative/nasty/mean person" -- no sexual meaning,
usage slightly favors male speakers, strongly favors female targets,
strong taboo

"bitch" n. = "asshole" as general term of abuse -- no sexual meaning,
usage slightly favors male speakers, strongly favors female targets,
strong taboo

"bitch" n. = "slut" -- explicit sexual meaning, usage strongly favors
female targets, strong taboo

"bitch" n. = "female dog" -- explicit sexual meaning, target must be
female, mild taboo due to homonymous taboo forms (cf. niggardly)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com