Borat! is Our PR Czar, Read Here Today!

Paul Richardson paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET
Sat Sep 1 11:30:53 UTC 2007

Michael:

For those of us outside the beltway, thanks for the heads up.
Interesting indeed.

It has been interesting, as a non-objective observer, to watch these
various government-influenced English language media outlets emerge
from the auspices of RIAN, RG and others. Touted as partnerships, the
government involvement in these media ranges from financing to direct
control.

First there was Russian Profile, which is state financed and has the
involvement of Independent Media (Moscow Times, et al) and is not a
bad business mag, if a bit long winded. Then there was Russia Today,
the overhyped and underwatched TV network. Then various newspaper
inserts and special editions, and now Russia! magazine - which one
Russian journalist commented to me was "more like a magazine about
publishing a magazine on Russia than anything else". Frankly, I find
it hard to trust a magazine with an exclamation point in the
masthead... In any event, its overt involvement in this publication
gives the lie to its past assertions that it receives no Russian
government support.

In any event it is fun to read such turgid Russlish prose again. Like
a trip down memory lane. When a government is involved in a media
outlet, the result will almost always be ham-handed. Still, as an
amateur kremlinologist, I find it interesting to read these things to
understand what they would have us think they are thinking...

Best,

Paul Richardson
Publisher
Russian Life magazine