In Memoriam: Ivan Fizer (l925-2007)

V. Chumachenko chumache at UIUC.EDU
Sat Sep 1 15:51:50 UTC 2007

In Memoriam: Ivan Fizer (l925-2007)

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the death (August 28th) of
our beloved colleague and past President of the American Association for
Ukrainian Studies, Dr. Ivan Fizer.

Ivan Fizer, Professor Emeritus of Slavic Languages and Literatures,
Rutgers University (New Brunswick),  was an internationally acclaimed
literary scholar and critic, a member of the Shevchenko Scientific Society
and  the Ukrainian Academy of Arts and Sciences in U.S., and an
International member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.

He held a Ph.D. from Columbia University, an honorable doctorate from the
Kievo-Mohylian Academy and was the author of numerous scholarly works,
among them "Alexander A. Potebnja's Psychologinguistic Theory of
Literature: A Metacritical Inquiry (Cambridge: Harvard University Press,
l988) and "Psycholgism and Psychoaesthetics: A Historical and Critical
Vies of Their Relations (Amsterdam: John Benjamin, l98l).

We express our deepest sympathy to Mrs. Maria Fizer, his Children and
Family, and his many friends and colleagues  here and abroad.
                  Vichnaia Iomu Pam'iat'!

On behalf of the American Association for Ukrainian Studies
Dr. Alexandra Hrycak, President

p.s.
Services for Professor Fizer will be held Friday, August 31, at the Hogan
Chamberlain Funeral Home (732-356-0327; 226 Mountain Avenue, Bound Brook,
New Jersey), from 2-4 and 2-9 PM (Panakhyda: 8:30).
Funeral: Saturday, September 1, l0 AM at St. Andrew's Ukrainian Orthodox
CHurch, Main Street, Sounth Boundbrook, folowed by Memorial dinner.