ESL certification

Nina Shevchuk n_shevchuk at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 14 14:25:17 UTC 2007

I would say, because of the bias towards hiring native speakers, your student should get hired first, preferably by an International House School, and then undergo the TESOL/CELTA training as part of her employment. However, it is unlikely that any school will sign a contract for less than a year of employment, so that depends on your student's preferences. She/he can also check out the School for International Training in Brattleboro, VT (I think it's www.sit.edu but I'm not sure) -- they provide TESOL courses sometimes, but may not enroll someone who is not a working teacher.
  Another option that's always out there is a teaching Fulbright...

  Best,
  Nina Shevchuk-Murray

evprok at WM.EDU wrote:
  Dear colleagues,

one of my students wants to teach English in Russia. Could you please suggest the best way to get TESOL/TEFL certification?

Thank you,

Elena Prokhorova, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program
Modern Languages Department
Literary and Cultural Studies Program
College of William and Mary
(757) 221-7755

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: