Razryadka (spacing)

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Aug 1 15:17:49 UTC 2008

I am holding a volume of The Language and Verse in Russia. Even
though it is in UCLA Studies Series it is published in Moscow in
1995. It certainly has a lot of italics, maybe more than would have
been the case in pre-computer days (this is an eye-ball statement),
but in some articles, by Toporov and Zholkovsky, for ex. there is
plenty of razrjadka. This way there is a distinction between examples
which are italicized and author's emphasis.

In a book by Vorotnikov "Slovo i vremja" 2003 "Nauka" there are
razrjadka's for emphasis, bold script for (new) terms and italics for
examples.

On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Richard Robin wrote:

> A feature I frequently see in Russian texts that is generally not
> used in
> the West is s p a c i n g   o u t   e m p h a s i z e d   t e x t.
>
> I haven't seen разрядка used in a long time. I thought it
> disappeared with
> the advent of desktop printing (making italics an easy alternative)
> and the
> demise of гарнитура литературная (literaturnaya font - which still
> can send
> a wave of nostalgia through me when I see it) as the workhorse font of
> Soviet typography.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW