Razryadka (spacing)

Kristen Harkness kmhst16 at PITT.EDU
Fri Aug 1 16:37:06 UTC 2008

I worked for MAIK/NAUKA Interperiodica in 1994-1995 and had many
"discussions" with the layout department about the fact that razriadka
was simply not used in American/British texts.  It took me a long time
to convince them not to use it in the English versions of the texts we
were translating.  An older woman there told me it came about from
having to do bold text by hand "back in the day" and just stuck as a
typographical convention.   Whether or not she was correct, I don't
know, but I have noticed it appears a lot less frequently in recently
published books.

Kristen Harkness
University of Pittsburgh