United Nationsand

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Aug 5 09:37:46 UTC 2008

The obvious response, that this is a typo created by careless cutting
and pasting, may be correct - but those of us who have worked on editing
manuscripts know the axiom 'lectio difficilior potior' and seek for
other explanations. 'Nationsand' is full of subtle semantic suggestions
and possibilities. The Gospel of Matthew 7:26, about the 'house built on
sand'  springs immediately to mind in this context. James Joyce and
Lewis Carroll would have rejoiced in the possibilities of online Boolean
search - Google offers 3050 hits for "nationsand" and 718 for 'united
nationsand'. Here are some examples:

'The growing threat to abortion on demand in America has the *United
Nationsand* American liberals in a rage.'

'Article 7 Duty to ensure the safety and security of /United Nationsand/
associated personnel.'

/'United Nationsand/ signed onto the Millennium Declaration.'

Just a thought during my coffee break,
Will Ryan//