Unitaz = "Universal'nyi Taz" = Toilet Bowl

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Aug 28 15:54:11 UTC 2008

I had wondered about this, but according to the company's web-site
<http://www.carandache.ch/cda/company/history.lbl>
it is the other way round, albeit indirectly.  Caran d'Ache was, it seems, the nom de plume of a nineteenth-century French caricaturist who was born in Moscow.

After I had sent the earlier posting , it dawned on me that клаксон [klakson], скотч [skotch] and  ксерокс [kseroks] differ from the other two examples in that they had almost certainly become generic terms before being borrowed into Russian.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Valentino, Russell" <russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:38:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Unitaz = "Universal'nyi Taz" = Toilet Bowl

I don't know about Quaker Oats (though I should since they make them nearby), but another of these brand names that I understand became a generic term is the Swiss pen Caran d'Ache (karandash). Can anyone confirm this?

Russell Valentino

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna