Scots/Scotch and Kozaks

Will Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Dec 9 00:46:52 UTC 2008

I would certainly normally defer to John's opinion on such matters. I
was speaking from memory that most Cossacks outside the Ukraine spoke
Russian with strong dialect elements. However, John's comment and a
quick scamper around the internet and a book or two leaves me quite
confused. I find positive statements in
reasonable sources that the Don, Kuban, Terek and Amur Cossacks
spoke/speak Russian, others that say that the Don and Kuban Cossacks
spoke a dialect which was a mixture of Russian and Ukrainian with other
elements, others again which assert that the Kuban Cossacks spoke
Ukrainian, and one which asserts that most Cossacks in the present day
US speak Russian.
I am unable to consult my wife at present(she is sitting in an archive
in Irkutsk) but I had a quick look at her recent book (Janet Hartley,
Russia 1762-1825, Military Power, the State and the People) which has
quite a lot to say about Cossacks as part of the 'military estate' of
the Russian empire in that period, especially in Siberia and the Russian
Far East.
It is clear from this that Cossacks of whatever origin were moved around
quite arbitrarily, and that surplus population (some state peasants ,
soldiers' sons, sons of the clergy, iamshchiki etc, probably mostly
Russians but possibly not) could be simply re-registered as
Cossacks and sent to underpopulated regions. There is not much evidence
of Ukrainian forms of names in the garrison or school records, but on
the other hand it is known that there were plenty of Ukrainian-speakers
in Siberia, and official records may have been Russianised. I suspect
that Cossacks in Siberia, even if some of them might originally have
been been Ukrainian-speaking would also have had to speak Russian, just
to complicate the issue. Can anyone point to a serious study of the
language issues in all this?.
Will Ryan