secondary imperfectives in Serbo-Croatian

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Feb 11 02:26:18 UTC 2008

Forgive me, but I don't think that can be the right interpretation.
Prefixed verbs of motion in SC are perfective, but when you add
an imperfectivizing suffix, the result is an imperfective verb.
You can certainly say both "On uterao auto u garaz^" (He
drove the car into the garage, perfective) and "On uterivao
auto u garaz^" (He was driving, or frequently drove, the
car into the garage, imperfective). You'll find two attestations
of uterati and two of uterivati at
http://www.autobat.co.yu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405
Note that SC u- = Russian v-.

The same way for other verbs of motion. You can uvesti psa
u kuc'u 'bring a dog into the house' (P) and you can frequently
uvoditi psa u kuc'u (I).

So secondary imperfectivization does occur.

I am not a native speaker, but I have just been looking for
instances on Google.
Yours,
--
Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu