Rosetta Stone

Pendergast, J. Mr DFL John.Pendergast at USMA.EDU
Fri Jul 11 16:29:28 UTC 2008

We have been using Rosetta Stone at West Point in all seven languages
for about five years, and all of the observations and frustrations that
have been noted in this e-mail trail have been expressed at one time or
another by the instructors here, as well.  The key issue for us has been
the fact that the organization of the presentation of phrases and syntax
is entirely out of synch with our textbooks.  The degree to which this
is the case is directly proportional to the degree of linguistic
variation a particular language has from English grammar, which was the
organizational basis for the Rosetta Stone "Ur-course."  As an example,
the phrase "the boy is under the plane" occurs in the first lesson,
which for Russian obviously requires the use of the instrumental case.
Unfortunately, our textbook, Nachalo, does not introduce the
instrumental case discretely (other than in idiomatic expressions) until
book 2.  For this reason, it is NOT used as a primary study medium.  As
Paul Gallagher aptly observes, however, some (far from all) of our
cadets respond very positively to the program, because it feels a little
more like a game than study.  Apparently, the grammatical features of
Spanish and Portuguese are on some level "closer" to English, and
therefore some instructors in those languages here have incorporated
Rosetta Stone much more successfully.

A big advantage we have here is that we have access to the program
on-line and can monitor each cadet's amount of activity.  West Point's
use of Rosetta Stone was initiated as a test case for the eventual
establishment of a contract with the software developer to make a
version similar to the West Point on-line program available to the
entire Army.  The Army pays the company, and soldiers have free access
to the program in 27 languages, plus two dialects of Spanish and a
specialized Arabic course designed for soldiers heading to the Middle
East.  Some reading this may now be wondering: but if the program has
all these problems, what use is it?  The train of thought to which I
personally subscribe is that if a student is working for an observable
number of hours with Rosetta Stone, it becomes a part of his overall
contact time with the language.  I think we all know the importance of
contact hours.  The challenge is for the instructors to monitor the
concepts that the program introduces and either elicit questions about
them from the students or incorporate them overtly into the classroom
discussion.  Admittedly, this does not argue for the stand-alone nature
of the program, but it shows that the program has considerable merit.

John Pendergast (MAJ, USA ret.)
Assistant Professor of Russian
United States Military Academy
745 Brewerton Road