an interesting survey

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Fri Jul 11 23:38:49 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

I've just heard about a curious survey that attempts to identify the
most representative "cult" figures of Russian history (its' called
"The name of Russia"). 766 292 people voted so far, and the first 6
people are as follows: (1) Stalin, Vysotsky, Lenin, Nicholas 2,
Pushkin, Esenin,etc. You could view the results on this
site:http://www.nameofrussia.ru/rating.html

Surprisingly, Peter the Great occupies only the 13th place and he
scored only 72 205 votes... Yeltsin is slightly ahead of him...

All best,
Alexandra

------------------------------
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EX8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Quoting Ben Rifkin <brifkin at TEMPLE.EDU>:

> I would like to point out to SEELANGers that there are other
> computer-mediated options for learners and that these options, which may be
> better integrated with textbooks, might be a better match for those learners
> who will happily spend more time using a computer-based program than
> completing pen and paper exercises.  (Indeed, this is the thesis of my
> article,  "Criteria for the Assessment of Foreign Language Instructional
> Software and Websites, " ADFL Bulletin 34.2 (2003):  53-56.)
>
> For those looking for other options for computer-mediated instruction, I
> would mention the Russnet exercises (www.russnet.org), the exercises
> correlated with Golosa ( http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/golosa/), for more
> advanced-learners, RAILS (http://www.languageinstitute.wisc.edu/rails).
> There is more information at
>
> http://slavica.com/teaching/rifkin.html
>
> Lastly, I also recommend the Ruslan series for those who are interested in a
> beginning program well integrated with computer-mediated activities.
>
> With best wishes to all,
>
> Ben Rifkin

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.